November 5, 2009

Music that reminds me of The Road- The Human Abstract - "This World is a Tomb"

Below is the song "This World is a Tomb" by The Human Abstract. One night when I was reading this book my ipod was on shuffle and started playing this song. I closed my eyes and just listened. What I saw was these two characters that I had been reading about and the destroyed world in which they now lived.



Lyrics:
Slaving for my solace of mind, digging in the sand until there's blood on my hands,
Careless to the state I'm in, I've so long been alone.
I can't go on.
Rain down and cleanse my soul.
Flow like a river.
Forging insight by pagan torchlight, in cadence warlike,
We draw tears from the sky, because the well's run dry.
I've spread out my seed, its gone in all directions.
It starts to feel like the promised land is a fantasy
And heaven has been swallowed by the desert.
In a drought without submission, not a cloud in the sky,
This course keeps getting harder, the more I try.
I dig up dry bones, and the corpses cry,
As they open their eyes to see the world's decay.
This world's a tomb.
There's a clamor in my heart and its over.
Where is my prize, my promised prize?

(Lyrics from http://www.lyricsmania.com/lyrics/human_abstract_the_lyrics_40183/other_lyrics_71852/this_world_is_a_tomb_lyrics_802403.html)

There are some lines in this song that really stick out to me.

1. "I dig up dry bones, and the corpses cry, as they open their eyes to see the world's decay. This world's a tomb."
This line couldn't be a more accurate depiction of the world McCarthy has created. A world where even the dead cry over the tragic events that have occurred and what the world they know now is nothing like how it once was. Rotting, mutilated corpses are a normal thing for the father and his son to run into during their journey.
Human bodies. Sprawled in every attitude. Dried and shrunken in their rotted clothes.
-McCarthy 40

Sometimes they even encounter what can almost be considered the living dead.
Huddled against the back wall were naked people, male and female, all trying to hide, shielding their faces with their hands. On the mattress lay a man with his legs gone to the hip and the stumps of them blackened and burnt. The smell was hideous.
-McCarthy 93

These parts of the book always left me absolutely disturbed and I could barely fathom what it would be like to see a sight like that. Just try and imagine a world so terrible that it makes those that are already dead cry over it.

2. "It starts to feel like the promised land is a fantasy and heaven has been swallowed by the desert."
The father and son are trying to reach the ocean because the ocean has water and most likely other survivors. The ocean is like their promised land. As they see more and more of the destruction, or desert as the song puts it, through their journey it gives the reader a feel of doom and hopelessness of finding the ocean; as the line in the song says "It starts to feel like the promised land is a fantasy"

No comments:

Post a Comment