November 9, 2009

General Thoughts

Looking back on my older posts I realized that I haven't really given any of my opinions about the books thus far.

Before I even started reading the book I had extremely high expectations of the book because my teacher had made it sound amazing, and I heard it was amazing from a few others as well. I thought "A post apocalyptic story about father and son, sounds pretty good for school." So I chose to read it for the project...

After just one sitting I was blown away by the book. Books generally don't speak to me or get to me, but this book changed all of that. There were moments were I felt like crying or even throwing up. One instance of this is when the father and boy are crossing a bridge and see a giant truck. They think it might have food inside so they climb on top and see a hole. The father throws a match down to get some light in the truck. All they see are bodies upon bodies. McCarthy describes the smell of it and made that moment so real that I felt like throwing up.

The vivid imagery in the story made me feel like if I looked out my window all I would see is a wasteland. The deceased mutilated bodies, the destroyed forests, the few remaining survivors...all absolutely crystal clear in my mind.

Also this book is quite disturbing, and not always in the blood and gore kind of way. McCarthy also toys with your emotions through the child whether it be the father contemplating killing the child to end his misery or the child asking if they would ever eat a person. There were multiple times where I just put the book down for a while to get a breather and cheer up a little bit. Don't get me wrong, the book is absolutely fantastic, and all these disturbing little parts are what makes it so much better.

I believe McCarthy does a fantastic job in the flow of his story. The book can seem very repetitive at times but it gets a little deeper each time and you slowly start to see the horrors of what is really going on. He also gives a little bit of hope every now and then, such as the night where it snows and they wake up and see the white snow laying on the ground.

I have not yet finished the book and cannot wait to see what else McCarthy has in store for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment